what if i just replay this game for the 50th time
Let’s say I do have this “crush,” Ms. Cykes. What’s usually the next step?
now look. her gaze goes to the left and up. clearly a mind in the midst of deductive reasoning.
… actually, i’m hungry.
look at these two. look at these two nerds. they aren’t just pointing on a whim, no. they are coordinating. they are coordinating their poses. they are an attorney at law and a hardboiled detective with the sharpest of minds, and they discussed beforehand, “wouldnt it be cool if we pointed at each other and made this cool pose at the same time”. their job is to deal with murder trials, and they have fast-paced battles of wit to test their mental prowess, and they do shit like this. they planned in advance to do a dorky two-part pose. ace attorney is amazing and I love it.
Meanwhile, Holmes is a prosecutor and Ryuunosuke is dead!?
…No, not quite. These are stills from this year’s no-fourth-wall Special Court video. Although Capcom hasn’t released the video yet, they’ve provided these images to Game Watch, giving us a look at the London courtroom. As for what’s actually going on, Twitter user @hoso_boso gave a few hints, and C-R member Ash translated:
Ryuunosuke and Susato appear in the English court “because of DGS which is planned for a 2015 release”(screenshot 1). Then Holmes appears, who upon seeing Ryuunosuke blurts out “But aren’t you that dead Italian head cook?!” (See screenshot. He’s dead! But this will be explained later).
Holmes thinks that Ryuunosuke was the Italian head cook because of a certain telegram. The contents of that telegram? The truth behind this case? That’s what the Special Court is about.
There’s a secret to the telegram, but the story is mostly about Holmes’ silly mistakes.
As for how the characters appeared:
- Holmes -> Natural airhead. Might describe him as a “clean Luke Atmey”
- Susato -> Active, but can be a bit silly too.
- Ryuunosuke -> Comments on and corrects both of themHolmes also makes a comical meta-comment at the very end, which is very Takumi-like apparently.
Here’s hoping the full Special Court is released soon!
And here are full scans for Dai Gyakuten Saiban! In addition to giving us a decent look at the game’s visuals, there’s some new info as well:
- Ryuunosuke begins the game in Japan, where as a college student he’s involved in a certain case that puts him on the path to becoming a formal attorney. To better study law, he transfers to England along with Mikotoba, where he meets Holmes.
- Most of the story will take place in London, with Japan serving as the setting for Ryuunosuke’s first case.
- Court and investigation proceed in mostly the same way, but during investigations Ryuunosuke and Holmes will use “joint logic” - a system where, as Ryuunosuke, you must point out any inconsistencies in Holmes’ rapid-fire reasoning. (The example shown is Holmes accusing a witness of being a certain revolutionary.)
- Part of the reason they settled on 3D was to allow for a very dynamic camera to match Holmes’ high-speed thinking. Takumi jokes that Holmes really set the stage for the game!
- Takumi has a deep love of the Sherlock Holmes stories, so he’s trying to respect the character. Holmes is described as falling somewhere between the “storybook Holmes” and a “real Holmes” - a man who focuses maybe too much on his investigations, but isn’t a bad person at heart.
- Ryuunosuke and Holmes’ meeting is a key point of the game.
Here’s Sherlock Holmes in the Great Ace Attorney ⊟
The little girl is Capcom’s version of Watson, a pink-haired 8 year old. Don’t underestimate her, though — Iris Watson is a genius with a medical Ph.D., and the author of novel series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
The 3DS game is set to release in Japan next spring. Thanks to Kotaku for posting these scans and details from the latest issue of Famitsu.
Was at PAX this weekend, and someone yelled out OBJECTION at me in a familiar voice (while I was dressed as Apollo Justice). Turns out it was Orion Acaba, Apollo’s English VA!
The Dai Gyakuten Saiban site has seen an update in preparation for next week’s reveal, adding these two silhouetted characters!
Capcom has also announced that there will be a special stage show with director Shu Takumi and producer Shintaro Kojima on 9/20 and 9/21.
Looks like it’s finally time we get a good look at the game…!
the best part of apollo justice, giffed for your pleasure.
thanks to valant gramarye for making this possible.
I hope none of you object to this cover